Monday, March 3, 2014

To My 23 Year Old Self....

What would I (at close to 40) say to my 23 year old self?

I've been kicking this blog post around in my mind for close to 2 years now. Not exactly "if you could go back and do it again....," because I truly have few regrets. If given the chance, some things I would have done differently, some things I might not have done at all, but there are really not many things I'm so sorry about that I hold deep regret. This is sort of like, "if I knew then what I know now...." I imagine, though, that would have quashed the 20's angst I had, and really--what's the point of your 20's if you don't have drama and angst?

Still though....There are some things I would like to tell me....

Things like....
-Girl. That hair color? So not for you.
-You're going to be a nurse one day. No. Seriously. Stop laughing.
-Passion is a double edged sword.
-Don't care so much what other people think of you. It just doesn't matter.
-Be kind to yourself. Do nice things for yourself. Sometimes you're all you have.
-Stop fighting the curly hair. Embrace it, find a good curl product and carry on.
-You never get over losing your parents. Ever.
-Mardi Gras. Do it.
-Enjoy the time you have with your mom the way she is now. You won't have her this way much longer.
-Stand up for yourself. Always.
-You have to go after the things you want, because they sure as hell aren't going to lay themselves on your doorstep.
-He loves you. And he will always love you.
-Your heart is too squishy, your brain is too logical. Listen to your gut. It will never steer you wrong.
-You still know more about art than your brother ever will, but he was right when he said you'd be a Conservative one day. No. Seriously. Stop laughing.
-Two little boys will come into your life and when they do you will learn the meaning of completely selfless unconditional love. Your heart will burst with it every day of your life with them.
-I hope you like Volkswagens. Cuz you're gonna be driving one for a loooooonnnnng time.
-Oh so next year? You're going to have this phase where you're a total slut. And you're going to have a whole lot of fun for several months. You're welcome.
-151 is The Devil.
-Things aren't always what they seem, no matter how long they've seemed that way.
-Your close girlfriends are your lifeline. They are your sounding board, your mirror, your rock. Value them. They are worth their weight in gold.
-Yes, Bono is still as hot as ever.

I'm sure there are other things I could say, but I think this pretty much covers what I would want me to know. Makes me wonder what my 60 year old self would say to me at the age I am now......


No comments:

Post a Comment